Stock A Home Bar
To get your bar fully stocked and ready for entertaining, you'll most likely need about $250 for domestic and local brands of liquors. Tack on another 20% or so to upgrade to premium labels.
A home bar should be stocked with 750 ML bottles of the following:
- An apéritif such as Campari
- Champagne or sparkling wine
- Several bottles of white wine
- Several bottles of red wine
- Dry and sweet vermouth
- Brandy or cognac
- Beer, a nice mix of domestic and imported varieties
- Cordials such as triple sec, Grand Marnier, amaretto, Kahlua, etc.
As you grow your selection, you might want to add:
- Flavored premium vodkas
- V.S.O.P. cognac
- Assorted microbrews
- Flavored rums
- Assorted red and white wines from France, California, Germany, Australia, etc.
You'll also need mixers if you're going to serve your guests, so add the following to your shopping list:
- Club soda
- Fruit juices (orange, lemon, grapefruit, tomato, pineapple, lime, etc.)
- Angostura bitters
- Tabasco sauce
Lastly, don't forget your garnishes, such as lemon and lime slices, olives, citrus twists, maraschino cherries, rimming salts/sugars and swizzle sticks.
Written by Erika Pitera