Soy-Braised Chicken and Peppers
This is a richly flavored, fragrant dish with a Southeast Asian flair. We braised boneless, skinless chicken thighs in a soy sauce mixture seasoned with cinnamon and star anise, then added red and green bell peppers, scallions and fresh cilantro to make a simple entrée to serve over rice.
- 1-1/4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, very finely chopped
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Steamed white rice
Trim any excess fat from the chicken and season on both sides with salt, pepper and a sprinkling of cinnamon.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer and brown, 1-1/2 minutes per side.
Combine the soy sauce, fish sauce, honey, chicken broth, garlic and ginger in a small bowl and add to the chicken along with the star anise. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for 15 minutes, turning the chicken pieces over after about 8 minutes.
Scatter the pepper strips over the chicken, cover and cook for an additional 5 to 6 minutes until the peppers are tender. Remove from the heat, add the scallions, re-cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the cilantro.
To serve, make a bed of rice on each of 4 plates. Top with chicken and peppers and spoon sauce over the top. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings
Get our recipes via email:
More recipes posted in category : Poultry