Pasta with Smoked Sausage and Peppers
This is a quick weeknight pasta dish that couldn't be any easier to prepare. Fully-cooked smoked sausage, tomatoes, red and green bell peppers, and your favorite cut of pasta combine for a simple but satisfying one-dish main course. A green salad on the side rounds out the meal.
- 8 ounces rotini, penne, rigatoni or other ridged pasta
- 8 ounces smoked sausage (fully cooked), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onion. Sauté until soft and translucent, 2 to 3 minutes, then add the garlic. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the garlic is fragrant and soft, about 2 minutes more.
Add the red and green pepper to the pan and continue cooking just until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and smoked sausage. Bring to a simmer and cook just until the sausage is heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Remove from the heat and add the pasta, tossing to mix well and coat with the sauce. Allow to stand for a few minutes before serving.
Makes 4 servings
This is an original recipe created & tested by the editors of MyGourmetConnection