Mediterranean Pasta Salad with Shrimp
The flavors in this pasta salad are decidedly Mediterranean; fresh oregano, lemon, extra-virgin olive oil and feta cheese. It's a simple combination that makes for a light, one-dish meal that's perfect for summer evenings or a weekend lunch. We like to use cavatappi (corkscrew) pasta because the ridges hold the dressing so well, but other cuts like penne, rotini or shells would work just as well.
- 10 ounces cavatappi (corkscrew) pasta, cooked and drained
- 3/4 lb cooked medium shrimp
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoon red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 4 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
- 18 Kalamata olives
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 lemon wedges
- For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
Place the pasta in a large bowl. Make the dressing by whisking the olive oil, lemon juice and garlic together and pour over the pasta. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the scallions, red onion, chopped oregano, spinach and olives. Mix well, then add the shrimp, grape tomatoes and feta cheese. Toss gently, taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
Serve in shallow bowls, top with freshly ground black pepper and a lemon wedge.
Makes 4 servings
This is an original recipe created & tested by the editors of MyGourmetConnection