Broiled Lamb Kabobs with Chunky Tomato-Olive Salad
This recipe is a medley of Moroccan-inspired flavors that's quick and easy to prepare. A tender cut of lamb only needs to marinate for about 30 minutes, but if you have the time, let it go longer for added flavor. The Tomato-Olive Salad is a great combination that barely needs any additional seasoning. It makes a pungent complement to the richness of the lamb. We served this with a fresh lemon-infused couscous which is terrific, but if you have access to preserved lemons, feel free to substitute. They really add interesting flavor notes.
- 1 to 1-1/4 lb boneless lamb, cut into cubes (choose a tender cut)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (Tabasco or Sriracha)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the salad:
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 6 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Dash of hot sauce
About 30 minutes before serving, submerge 4 bamboo skewers in water to soak. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, hot sauce, cumin and coriander in a shallow dish. Add the lamb cubes and toss to coat evenly, cover and set aside.
To make the salad, combine the green olives, Kalamata olives, shallot, tomatoes and olive oil in small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add hot sauce to taste, transfer to a serving bowl and set aside at room temperature until serving time.
About 10 minutes before serving, position a rack approximately 4 inches from the broiler and preheat. Divide the lamb into 4 portions and thread the cubes onto the bamboo skewers. Arrange the skewers on a broiler pan and broil for 3 to 4 minutes for medium, turning once. Serve with the Tomato-Olive Salad and Lemon Couscous (bonus recipe below).
Makes 4 servings
Cut 1/2 of a lemon into 1/8-inch thick slices, remove any seeds and cut each slice into small chunks.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the lemon chunks, season with season with salt and pepper, and cook until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add 1-1/4 cups water, increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
Add 1 cup of couscous, cover, remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.