Easy Beef Stir Fry with Noodles
This is a simple Chinese-style stir fry of beef flavored with garlic, fresh ginger, hoisin and soy sauce and served on a bed of noodles that have been tossed with finely shredded cabbage. We love to shop at the Asian grocery, but the ingredients in this dish can be found at most supermarkets. We used whole wheat thin spaghetti for our noodles, partly because it's a little healthier, but mostly because the firmer texture and slightly nutty taste works really well with the other flavors in the dish.
- 1 lb boneless top sirloin, thinly sliced for stir fry
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sherry (or Chinese rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into matchstick pieces
- 5 or 6 scallions, sliced
- 4 cups very finely shredded cabbage
- 8 ounces whole wheat thin spaghetti (or Chinese egg noodles)
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (or Chinese black vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for the noodles.
In a large bowl, combine the beef, garlic, ginger, sherry, soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil. Mix well and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the hoisin sauce, ketchup, sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar until the sugar has dissolved completely. Set aside.
Add the noodles to the boiling water and cook according to the package directions. Drain and toss with the shredded cabbage and the remaining 2 teaspoons of sesame oil. Set aside.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add the meat-garlic mixture and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the red bell pepper, stir fry 1 minute more. Add the sauce mixture and cook until heated through, about 1/2 minute. Add the scallions, toss and remove from the heat.
To serve, divide the noodle-cabbage mixture onto 4 plates. Top with a portion of the beef, spoon some sauce over the top and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Makes 4 servings
This is an original recipe created & tested by the editors of MyGourmetConnection